Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Hunting for good sunscreen

A few days ago, I was planning for a camping trip and needed some new sunscreen to replace my old lotions. I found out that I need to watch out for:
  • No Spray Sunscreens
  • No Super-High SPFs >50
  • No Oxybenzone
  • No Loose Powder Sunscreens
  • No Retinyl Palmitate*
  • No Combined Sunscreen/Bug Repellents
  • No Sunscreen Towelettes
  • No Tanning Oils
* My sunscreen was guilty of this one. Studies have found that it may speed development of skin tumors and lesions.

So, I spent an hour reading sunscreen labels in CVS and Whole Foods, trying to choose based on the database of sunscreens that meet EWG's criteria. I finally settled on this one from CVS, which costs a fraction of the brands I found at Whole Foods and still gets a 2 out of 10 rating (that's really good):
CVS Baby Sun Lotion Broad Spectrum Sunscreen, SPF 50

Heading out to the camping trip, I couldn't help wondering, though: if a chemical is harmful enough that they don't put it in sunscreen for babies, why would they put it into adult sunscreen? I soon got my answer: it's because these sunscreens apparently make your skin visibly white instead of seeping into your skin! My camping buddies said I looked like I was preparing for geisha makeup, and I had to reapply pretty often, too. Luckily, during camping, I don't care how I look!

What sunscreen would you recommend that is good and doesn't break the bank? Share in the comments!

Finally, here's a great infographic I found on the EWG website:














































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment