Sunday, February 2, 2014

A cheap, non-toxic mineral powder foundation

In my attempt to switch to non-toxic cosmetics, I've started using pure mineral foundation. However, before you go out and buy the first one you find, here are some points to be aware of:

1. "Mineral" doesn't always mean pure mineral. The term "mineral" can be used on any product that has minerals - typically mica, zinc oxide, and titanium dioxide - as its main ingredients, regardless of what not-so-natural additives it has, like fragrance, dye, and preservatives. Check the ingredients list to makes sure it truly only has mica, zinc oxide, and titanium dioxide.

2. Avoid talc. This is an anti-caking agent that dilutes down that pure mineral. It can also clog pores and irritate the skin.

3. More expensive isn't necessarily better. Bella Terra foundation and Elegant Minerals have the exact same ingredients. The first costs $60 for 8 grams, the second one is $15 for 20 grams. You do the math.

I found a great list of good mineral foundations here: link.

Of the brands listed, I went with Elegant Minerals, because when I have a hard time choosing, I tend to go with the cheapest of the choices. :) I've been extremely happy with the purchase. They have foundation sample kits that cost 1 cent (yes, that's $0.01), so you can pick the one that matches your skin tone the best. And I was happy to discover they have natural lipsticks, eyeshadows, and more! The only negatives are that your emails to them may get lost, and that their website needs a bit of updating.

I also got a studio Kabuki face brush on Amazon; the one by e.l.f. Cosmetics is amazingly soft!


No comments:

Post a Comment